ENT Treatment for Children in the sutherland shire
- We look after young families with children who are suffering from severe problems of the ear, nose or throat
- We take pride in providing definitive ear nose and throat care for your child, without you having to leave the local area
- In the family the main health decision maker is usually the mum, and we recognise how important parental intuition can be when there is a problem with her child’s health.
- Whilst we are happy to see patients from any area, the Shire is our home base, and we love interacting with local families.
DR SMITH PROVOIDES treatments which help with:
- Nasal and Throat problems causing misery for kids
- Kid's recurrent fevers from ENT infections
- Disrupted sleep for kids and their families by snoring and sleep apnoea
- Children who are forced to take time off school/ child care because of ENT issues
- Adults who need to take time off work as parents of children with ENT problems
PAEDIATRIC ENT RESOURCES IN THE SUTHERLAND SHIRE
- Our doctors are able to provide comprehensive treatment for all general ENT problems in children, in the office setting, and in local private and public hospitals.
- The practice is equipped to deal with all general children’s ENT issues in the local area.
- Often we see patients requiring their second set of grommets, or ongoing ENT issues after treatment out of the local area and are asked by the mums “how come no one told us we could have had this done locally last time?”
- Most patients with ENT issues don’t need referrals away from the Sutherland Shire and St George areas, and can have definitive assessment and treatment close to home. This avoids unnecessary extra appointments and travel.
ENT (EAR NOSE AND THROAT) Conditions treated in KIDS
- ear infections
- hearing loss/ language delay
- glue ear
- blocked nose, nasal congestion
- nasal discharge/ mucus
- allergic rhinitis
- sleep apnoea
- husky voice
- nose bleeds
- broken nose
- hole in ear drum, tympanic perforation
COMMON OPERAtions/ treatments in CHILDREN
- tonsillectomy/ adenotonsillectomy
- grommet insertion
- coblation inferior turbinates
- inferior turbinoplasty
- reduce broken nose
- cauterise nasal vessel
- repair ear drum/ myringoplasty/ tympanoplasty
DR EDWARD SMITH TREATS children with ent (ear nose and throaT) problems and we perform hearing tests for children from the following areas:
Sutherland SHIRE of sydney:
- Alford's Point, Bangor, Barden Ridge, Bonnet Bay, Bundeena, Buraneer, Caringbah, Como, Cronulla, Dolan's Bay, Engadine, Gray's Point, Greenhills Beach, Heathcote, Illawong, Jannali, Kangaroo Point, Kareela, kirrawee, Kurnell, Lilli Pilli, Loftus, Lucas Heights, Maianbar, Menai, Miranda, Oyster Bay, Port Hackin, Sandy Point, Sutherland, Sylvania, Taren Point, Waterfall, Woolooware, Woronora, Woronora Heights, Yarrawarrah, Yowie Bay
ST GEORGE AREA and surrounds, SYDNEY:
- Allawah, Arncliffe, Banksia, Bardwell Valley, Bexley, Beverley Hills, Beverley Park, Blakehurst, Brighton-le-Sands, Campsie, Clemton Park, Doll's Point, Earlwood, Hurstville, Kingsgrove, Kogarah, Monterey, Mortdale, Oatley, Riverwood, Padstow, Panania, Peakhust, Penshurst, Picnic Point, Ramsgate, Rockdale, Roselands, Sans Souci
INNER WEST OF SYDNEY and CENTRAL SYDNEY
- Abbotsford, Alexandria, Ashfield, Balmain, Birchgrove, Breakfast Point, Burwood, Cabarita, Concord, Croydon, Drummoyne, Dulwich Hill, Enfield, Enmore, Erskineville, Glebe, Haberfield, Hunters Hill, Leichhardt Marickville, Mortlake, Newtown, Petersham, Rosebery, Rozelle, Strathfield, Surry Hills, Tempe, Ultimo
SOUTHERN SURROUNDS of sydney:
- Austinmer, Bellambi, Bulli, Clifton, Coalcliff, Coledale, Corrimal, Fairy Meadow, Keiraville, Mount Ousley, Otford, Stanwell Park, Russell Vale, Scarborough, Stanwell Tops, Thirroul, Wollongong, Wombarra, Woonona
Public and Private Care
Dr EDWARD Smith and Shire Family ENT doctors work closely with
- expert children’s anaesthetists and paediatricians
- Dr Smith is able to provide treatment in local private and public hospitals with excellent paediatric facilities (Sutherland Hospital, Kareena Hospital, St George Private Hospital)
- Dr Smith has a local public hospital appointment and is able to definitively treat patients in the Miranda and Sutherland Shire local area
- Our doctors are able to provide comprehensive treatment for all general ENT problems in children, in the office setting, and in local private and public hospitals
- The procedure is covered by health fund and Medicare, with an out of pocket gap payment.
- There may be extra expenses for hospital excess, anaesthetic fee and disposable equipment.
- It is possible to have the procedure in the private hospital if you are not covered by a fund, but hospital expenses will need to be covered.
- Dr Smith’s office staff can give a very detailed breakdown of expected out of pocket expenses, which is usually a very accurate prediction
- This is free.
- There can be a lengthy waiting period, although urgent cases will be prioritised.
- It is likely that the procedure will be performed by a registrar (specialist in training), with Dr Smith's supervision.
How long does it take for my child to see an ENT surgeon?
Dr EDWARD Smith makes time to see urgent patients
- If you are worried about your child, you can make an appointment to see Dr Smith within 2 weeks in most cases.
- If there is a very urgent problem, Dr Smith can usually see your child far sooner.
- Dr Smith is always happy to see patients seen previously at short notice if there is a problem such as infection or significant pain.